Posts

Monday, January 20, 2014

3d Modeling

Well I've always found 3d printers fascinating. The idea that I can basically print whatever I can think up is pretty cool. The concept is awesome and I think there are tons of possibilities that can be explored with 3d printing.  I did some research to find out how I could print something on a 3d printer. Turns out BYU has one in the library at a pretty good price. Knowing that I have access to some good resources like that is sweet. I got excited and tried to design something to print.

I've had this dream to have a pez dispenser with my head on it, and a 3D printer is my chance to do it at a low cost.  I found some blueprints online of work in the past people have done. I am amazed with how many open source projects there are for 3d printers. I found a few models that i could modify to put my head on.  My only setback was scanning my head and being able to edit it. I found some cool software called 123d that takes tons of photos and renders a 3d object. My creative process got limited here because the processing took forever, thus I will continue this project in the future. Learning how to edit 3d objects is much more complicated than 2d images/surfaces. I will probably need to take some 3d classes to be able to effectively navigate and manipulate objects before i print anything. So what I thought would be a pretty quick and simple process (I can make a poster in an hour or so... why not a pez despenser?) ended up becoming a larger project. I feel like my creativity is growing and I will have to start to see things from more perspectives to be able to create some cool objects. I had fun in the process and want to keep learning such a new and interesting concept.

1 comment: