Posts

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Monika Bravo Exhibit–Blake Lewis

I knew the Monika Bravo exhibit was interesting when I was standing in the room for a few minutes and in came three kids saying "whoa this is so cool!" and later pointed to the back wall as the cities reflected on it. 

What I found most creative was that Bravo had an idea and has conceptualized it into a work of art. I read about her desire to create her work to portray this idea that the world we live in is all part of our mental construction. It's as if we make up political disagreements or inner and outer cultural differences. That's what I believe she based her artform on. So I found that creative. She came up with the idea because it is actually a part of her. "Landscape of Belief" and all of her artforms are a part of her ideology and belief. 

I also found it creative because they just looked pretty. Part of the exhibit labeled "Liquid Wall" was aesthetically interesting and I was also mesmerized by the digital complexity of "Landscape of Belief". 

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you thought about the piece the same way that I did about disagreements and differences. I felt that's what it conveyed as well, but It seems that we are in the minority together on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we should keep in mind that sometimes with art in order to understand the art piece we also need to understand background of the artist. You made a good point by saying her art piece may come out of her way of thinking and belief system

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an interesting thought you relayed. This to me is a deep interpretation of creativity that is defining the world all around us. It explains that everything around us started as an idea in someones head. I simple thought transformed into a complex reality. Props to you Mr. Blake Lewis for finding this gem in the art piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think her idea of our world being shaped by our ideas is a beautiful one, and one that she captured beautifully. I also liked what you said prompted the idea: it was a part of her. That's what art is supposed to do: convey ideas in a way that words can never hope to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like how you referenced Monika's thought that the world we live in is all part of our mental construction. Reading that reminded me of the part in her artist's statement where she talks about creating something from nothingness. I think one of the main goals Monika had while creating this piece was to challenge the viewer's thoughts and beliefs.

    ReplyDelete