Posts

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Kon-Tiki - Lance McDowell



I thoroughly enjoyed this film. Every time I go watch a foreign film I expect it to be older and the special effects not very good. But I was amazed by the quality and the cinematography. There was one scene where they're all lying down on the raft, looking up at the stars and then the camera pulls back and goes clear back into space. It was absolutely beautiful. I don't know why I expect American movies to be far superior, because I thought this movie was better than some of the big blockbusters of last year like Man of Steel. It just goes to show that Hollywood isn't the only hub of vision and creativity. I also enjoyed the fact that I had no idea what it was about. I hadn't seen any previews so I didn't have any expectations. Maybe that's why I am easily disappointed by American movies. You see all the good parts in the trailer and then the rest of the movie is lame.

I was amazed that nobody died. I thought for sure someone would get eaten, or at least seriously mauled, by a shark. If this was Hollywood, someone would have died for sure. Also, Thor's wife left him in the end. I think an American movie would have had them get back together at the end.

Lastly, there was hardly any sexual material and no F-bombs. And it was still a great movie! Isn't that something?





5 comments:

  1. I must admit, I also was surprised when nobody died!! They had countless close calls, I also liked how you ended by saying it was clean, I didn't even think of that, but it is true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really liking your poster, very cool. Plus, totes agree with you about the lack of distasteful content. Movies don't need that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your poster, I think that soft blue closely matches the blue hue that dominated most of the cinematography. I also love that I can recognize the papyrus typeface on sight, but maybe that means I've used it too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely the best graphics were the shark and that stars shot into space... I was impressed. You also bring up a good point about the expectation of american films being superior, but I am amazed each time i see something international and the great quality and storytelling it has.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the poster. If I hadn't seen the film before, I would be attracted to it just by the poster alone. Good work!

    ReplyDelete