Posts

Monday, January 13, 2014

Monika Bravo


CREATIVE
I found the way she portrayed the pieces with this sense of movement very compelling and creative. Nothing ever stayed the same and you could see the depth. Instead of using a painting outlet she wanted technology that shows this movement. There were three panes of glass that had this changing landscape on it and all of them were made up of words. It talks about how Monika was trying to create this “narrative” meaning that these changing landscapes were telling a story. Landscapes are always being affected by society and are always changing and reconstructed by us. I talked with two people who were hanging out in the room and we started having a discussion concerning the art. One of the landscapes came up and it was Paris and he asked me if I had never been to Paris. I had been, and I started talking about my experiences there- how it affected me. These cities were all made of same the same colors and different tiny words but we make up in our mind the kind of city it means to us.


HOW? 

Monika has traveled all over the world. She has studied different subjects in different places and these places most likely all have meaning to her. I think she came up with the idea to put cities that she loved or may still want to go to and have people talk about it. I think she achieved her purpose as two strangers and I started a full on conversation about Paris. Belief is of the mind and we believe different things about different places. I think ultimately she came up with these ideas by having this one ultimate landscape within her mind but many different versions of it depending on where she’s been and the connections she’s had with those versions. 

4 comments:

  1. Interesting thought that she had one ultimate landscape in her mind, whilst creating this piece. I hand't thought of that take on how she could have created this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you were right on when you said that part of Monika's purpose was fulfilled in the conversation you three had about Paris. I think art in general draws on the experiences of the artist, but also the viewers or participants bring their own experiences too. So, good art can be thought of as a kind of like a two way communication.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you addressed how both the artist and the viewer had had different experiences so the art means different things to each of them. I hadn't thought of that before. To me thats the beautiful thing about art that one thing can mean a million different things based on an individuals life experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you mentioned the movement and the story. The movement and the pulsing of the words caught my attention. I think it adds to the fact that the stories that these cities are telling are always changing and moving.

    ReplyDelete