Posts

Monday, January 13, 2014

Bravo Monika! Landscape of Belief

What was creative about this piece to me?

The thing that struck me as creative with this exhibit was how the whole thing was set up. She used three blades of thick glass and a projector. Who would have ever thought of something like that? That in itself is creative. At first it looked like still pictures of different cities but she did more than that by adding animation to it. It seemed live the city was alive and it was actually something that we could maybe personify. She even had birds flying through one of the scenes which I thought was cool.

How did she come up with the idea though? I think she must have had some sort of limitations on this project. Maybe someone limited her or maybe she limited herself to using just three glass panels and a projector. Or maybe she even saw another piece of art the used glass to display the design. I think she just made the design on her laptop and then connected it to a projector but she could have just displayed her art on the laptop and showed it to people that way. Who knows? I honestly think that she just used multiple ideas and gather a bit from other projects and connected them to create design.

Eric Smith

8 comments:

  1. I liked what you said about the artist using multiple ideas and drawing inspiration from several places. I agree. When I first started thinking about how she might have come up with this concept, I was trying to find a simple answer that explained everything, but I realized that it was more likely that the piece didn't originate in one single inspiration or idea, but was probably the product of a lot of ideas coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those birds in one of the cityscapes stood out to me too. I thought this really added a depth of reality which lent itself to the piece being creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your idea of how she was creating within some sort of limit, because another interesting limit to this piece is electricity. When you pull the plug, all you have left is three panes of glass and no sign there was ever any other art there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was cool how you said that the city was alive. I guess that is true, the way that it is moving and changing, it could almost represent an ebb and flow in growth and change in beliefs...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeing the piece on a laptop would have still been cool. But now that I've seen it this way, a laptop just wouldn't be able to communicate her message the same way. I'm glad she went the step further.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always feel you walk by certain phenomenons in life and think "wow wouldn't that be cool if..?" Perhaps if Monika were walking through a city and saw light hit panes of glass a certain way. Those are the things for me where I get sparks of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked the animation in this piece too. At first it looked still but after looking at it for a little while, you could the cities pulsing and in a way, breathing. I think it added to the idea that our beliefs are pulsing and breathing too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the birds too. Your questions about the medium of the glass panes vs. a laptop is a good one. I like how it turned out

    ReplyDelete