Posts

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Rut #7--Laura Coalwell

Disclaimer: I have not ridden the UTA bus in the past week, but I'm planning on taking a little trip today or tomorrow or Thursday.


One of the most valuable skills I've been learning in the past year or two is how to navigate my way through mass transit in different cities (Portland, San Francisco, New York). It's pretty intuitive most of the time, but there are times when it can get tricky.

We went to New York for AdWeek and one of the girls we were with is in a wheelchair.
We took the subway every day.

The Subway system is not particularly accessible. Many stops don't have elevators, and those that do....smell awful. Needless to say, we had an interesting time finding our way around, and opening emergency doors (and feeling like a rebel) to get through.

It's an interesting dynamic going from the hot, humid platform, to the cool, air-conditioned subway car, to the rainy, muggy streets of NYC.

I really like mass transportation. I don't really like driving all that much, particularly when I don't know my way around, so I'm totally fine with taking the BART, the lightrail, or the subway.


What I've learned:
-it's not the subway that smells, it's the outside of the subway. or the elevators.
-new york could stand to have more ramps and nicer attendants.
-it's pretty nice that the subways run all night, because that means you can hang out in times square, eating late night treats from duane reade as long as you want.
-hand sanitizer is your friend. (and your friends' friend).
-hold onto the rail unless you want to end up on someone's lap.

No comments:

Post a Comment