Posts

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

#7 Public Transportation--Marie Lewis

Dear class,

I hate public transportation. Why? I have twelve years of reasons why. As a very young person, i spent seven and a half hours each week in a hot, sticky, yellow buss with 48 other, equally unfortunate, children. I'd like to say that this all changed when I finally reached that blessed age of sixteen. But I was NOT that fortunate. I had no car. And I lived a good twenty miles away from the school. At first it wasn't so bad. At first I was eight. But when you are eighteen and still riding a school bus, you resent it. Not just because you can't seem to turn your music up loud enough to avoid the swearing. And not just because you can't shut your eyes tight enough to forget what you saw going on in the back of the bus. But because you are eighteen. And you are STILL riding a school bus.

So when we received the assignment to get on a bus, I fumed.

I hate public transportation. A lot.

When I told one of my co-workers about my plight she agreed to take a bus with me to the hospital. There we would part ways and I would make my way to the hospital cafeteria and purchase some delicious eats, and she would make her way to the plasma center.

Saturday morning we met up and walked to the bus stop. We waited a few minutes until the bus showed up. Then, as it came to a halt in front of us, we walked up, stepped in, and dropped our tokens in the token-taking contraption. We sat down and talked and watched as others made their way down the aisle toward empty seats.

There were some pretty scary people.

So I talked to Melanie and tried to ignore them. When we got to our stop, we pulled the cord, and walked out. And much to my surprise, Sonic Drive-in was sitting right there looking just like it came from Oklahoma, which is the greatest place on earth. So I turned to Melanie and said, "Change of plans. I'm eating here." It seemed like a good idea to her, so she decided to join me before she let those plasma people suck all of the juice out of her. Then I went on to Big Lots (cause it reminds me of home, and my mom) and she went on to her doom.

What I learned:
1. I like bus tokens.
2. I hate buses. I will probably never like them.
3. Big Lots and Sonic remind me of home.
4. The scariest people in Provo frequent bus stops.
5. The pull cords are fun.

that is all,
Marie

1 comment: