Posts

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Rut #7 UTA Allie Rae Treharne

For Rut #7 (slightly late, I apologize), I took the front runner up to SLC.

I grew up in Tokyo where it's easier to take the subway instead of driving to the next neighborhood and there are subway outlets on literally every block. Tokyo public transportation is also very clean, quiet, and relatively safe. I was given a rude awakening when I rode American transportation for the first time when I was 14 in Boston--I had never seen trains so old or dirty. Or smelly.

However, I have been hearing such good things about the frontrunner and I decided I needed to quell my prejudices about American trains and just go.

It IS nice!

I need to remember that option again next time I go to SLC--being a city girl, I really do prefer public transportation over driving some of the time. I've heard the frontrunner has been relatively successful amongst Utahns, and I'm really anxious to see what other kind of investments Utah will make concerning public transportation. I personally believe that well-maintained public transportation is always a great idea that leads to a cleaner, more organized city.

Plus, we definitely need it more than most other people, considering how polluted our air is, due in part to everyone driving everywhere in nasty gas-guzzlers. 

3 comments:

  1. Totally agreed on the public transport, especially when it's done well like you say Tokyo is. I feel like most Americans hate public transport because all they have to use as a frame of reference are really awful public transport systems. It was awesome in China and Hong Kong. New York really sucks. San Francisco's MUNI sucks, but the Caltrain is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it was a lot nicer than I expected as well! we do have a lot of work if we want to come close to the quality of public transportation in other countries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a funny stereotype we have, but not sometimes we are pleased to be proven wrong.

    ReplyDelete