Posts

Monday, March 4, 2013

rut #7 - Brittany Funk

So I took a ride on UTA TRAX from Murray (where my sister and her husband live) to City Creek. I haven't used public transportation in a LONG time. The last time I used it regularly was when I lived in Singapore and we would use the MRT (it's basically an above ground subway). When we moved back to the states, we moved to a TINY town in Ohio...therefore, no public transportation existed. I was honestly scared to ride TRAX. I didn't know who would be on the train or if it would be super crowded and uncomfortable. It ended up being a pretty pleasant experience. I was with my sister, brother in law, and niece so I think that made it less intimidating. We met a few older ladies who were obsessed with my little niece. I don't blame them, she is adorable. We also talked to a couple of guys who were from some European country ( I can't remember which one, oops). They were here in Utah to ski and were riding to Temple Square. It was interesting to talk to them because they took a special (and expensive) trip to see things that seem so ordinary to me. I think public transportation is cool because it gives you an opportunity to get out of your little bubble. Maybe it is a little uncomfortable to talk to strangers and maybe you are a little too close for comfort, but I think it ends up being a good thing. I feel like I became a little less judgmental and it was cool to hear other people's stories. Overall, a cool experience that I would totally do again!

2 comments:

  1. that's cool you met people from Europe, I always forget that people come from all over to visit SLC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love meeting new people on the ski slopes! My dad always pushed me and my siblings to talk to people we didn't know on the chairlift. The Europeans are always so funny. We have introduced a couple of them to fry sauce even to give them the true Utah experience.

    ReplyDelete