Posts

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Rut # 7 - Austen Allred

Most of the past four years of my life have been spent in places where public transport was really the only option (eastern Ukraine, Bulgaria, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Suzhou and San Francisco). I've taken buses, trains, bullet trains, magnetic levitation trains, trolley buses, tramvais, marshutkas, dragon boats and "bike trailers" (where a half dozen people get pulled by a bicycle).





I have to say that while Utah is making some big steps with frontrunner we've got a long way to go. It's clean and it's nice, but requiring exact change for buses, especially at such arbitrary rates? Not even Ukraine required me to do that, and Ukraine is like stepping into the 1970s.

I love public transport though. It definitely is more stressful, but you feel a lot closer to the people with whom you ride, and now that I look at it probably 3 of the top 10 experiences I've ever had have been on public transport.

2 comments:

  1. wow, it's way cool that you have been able to be in so many countries/have so many experiences with public transportation. Riding public transportation gives you a unique experience, especially in foreign countries

    ReplyDelete
  2. bike trailers sound awesome! I wanna do that!

    ReplyDelete