Posts

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Rut 7 - Ridin' da bus

So I have never before taken public transportation in Provo.  I quickly learned that taking public transportation in the US is very different than in Brasil.  Since I had no knowledge of how the bus worked, I decided to just walk to a bus stop and get on the bus and see where it would take me.  I permanently borrowed a bus token from a friend and walked to a stop on University Avenue.  And then I waited.  I was there for literally 40 minutes.  Turns out the bus only runs half as often on Saturdays.  I got plenty of stares from people driving by, they probably either assumed I was a hobo (not quite correct), or just some idiot that didn't know the bus schedule (correct).  A rich looking fellow in a convertible randomly waved at me, maybe as his good deed of the day.  Thankfully the weather was pleasant so it felt nice being outside.  Finally after 40 minutes the bus came!  I didn't have to wave it down for it to stop, which was odd for me.  There were only two girls on the bus, and no one else got on during the entire ride.  Since the bus was empty, I could very clearly hear their conversation about some drama they have going on in their lives, and also how they are not big fans of Divine Comedy.  I got off the bus by the Gold's Gym and walked the rest of the way home.  During my walk home I passed a really ghetto looking house that had a very nice looking exercise bike sitting in its front yard.  I learned from this that public transportation in the US is not used nearly as much as it is in Brasil, and the ride was a lot calmer and less chaotic.  Also it's gotta be hard if you have to base the way you get around on the bus schedule.  I felt grateful for having a car to get to where I need.

3 comments:

  1. I love overhearing conversations on public transportation. Some are so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally eavesdropped on my bus ride. Why people are so personal on bus rides when trapped in a little space with people amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it is fun eavesdropping sometimes....until you hear them talking about something bad.

    ReplyDelete