Posts

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Time to record a recorder record

So one of my items on my list of things I hadn't done was learn to play an instrument. After a quick mental scan of instruments I quickly realized they're all take a pretty long time to learn, so I decided that a recorder would be pretty low on the time consumption list (seeing as I needed to have this post up by Monday). So a couple of clicks on Amazon and two days later I had a brand new Yamaha recorder in my hand. I promptly went to YouTube and started looking up recorder tutorials in hopes that one of them would be Hotline Bling by Drake (spoiler alert, no such tutorial exists at the present time). However I did learn how to play a couple notes (four to be exact) of Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On from Titanic. That was pretty much it. As it turns out all instruments take some time to learn and be able to play without it sounding really horrible. I was going to triumphantly upload a video of my perfect cover of a well known song on the recorder, but I haven't quite gotten to the point where I can play more than a few notes in succession. However, I am looking forward to the inevitable assignment that will come later in the semester when I can somehow work my recorder playing abilities into action.
In applying this assignment to creativity it shows that all things creative have to be worked for. Nothing really just comes. Well, most of the time. All lasting creativity comes from countless hours of work. Even if in one second of pure genius you come up with an amazing creative idea or act, that idea is built upon hours, weeks, and years of creative work. Even learning how to play an instrument as seemingly simple as the recorder takes time and effort in order to play My Heart Will Go On.

6 comments:

  1. That's hilarious. You took me back to 3rd grade when we got forced to learn to play those things as part of our music class. Too bad you weren't able to learn Hotline Bling, that video would have definitely gone viral. Good luck on learning a different instrument sometime though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so excited to read this, but I was honestly very disappointed not to see a video of you on the recorder to Hotline Bling. Great idea though. Still dying to see the final product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome. Of all the instruments to learn, I feel that the recorder is most versatile. You would not get the same, dramatic, effect playing Hotline Bling on a snare drum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome. I'm gonna leave this link here in hopes that you will take some notes and learn just how easy it is to break into this particular space: https://youtu.be/X2WH8mHJnhM

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's great news about what you've started here: first, if you do get comfortable playing the recorder, you'll be delighted to know the fingering is nearly identical to the saxophone, so keep it up cool cat and you just might be the next Charlie Parker. Second, I have to believe coming to the realization that playing any instrument takes a lot of work and you'll rise above Hotline Bling to discover the works of Handel, Debussy and David Grohl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe I could learn Hotline Bling on the harmonica and we could play it for the class? Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete