Posts

Monday, January 25, 2016

Star Wars on the mouth harp - Timmy Bates

When we started writing the things we have always wanted to do in our lives during class I wrote down things like, meet Harrison Ford, travel the road to Mordor, become a Jedi Master and introduce myself as Master Bates etc. Things that couldn't necessarily be done in a weekend. It was an interesting and surprising discovery that I could not think of anything I wanted to do that was actually possible to do in a weekend! I was struggling for most of the weekend until on Saturday night, while cleaning my desk, I knocked my harmonica that I had bought on my mission directly on my pinky toe. I picked it up, brushed off the dust  and washed the nasty Chapstick stains that I had left on it from the one and only time I had ever tried playing it, when I realized that I had never actually learned a single song on it. I had originally bought it so that I could have something to do on my P-day's and dreamed of being able to play it on camping trips at night, (after the mission obviously).

So I decided that it was time to finally learn a song. Now I wasn't quite as creative as Hotline Bling like Jordan Larsen, but something that I believe everyone that plays an instrument should know is the main theme of Star Wars. So after a quick YouTube search and after several hours of practicing (with some breaks in between) I could play part of the main theme of Star Wars. It was breathtaking. Literally it took my breath away because my lung capacity sucks apparently. I learned that the harmonica is really difficult and even when you think you sound good other people won't know what you are playing. It felt really good to actually do something that I said I had always wanted to do. I want to keep learning songs and get better at it because in July we are going camping and I want to blow everyone's minds when I pull out the harmonica and serenade everyone. Unfortunately when I went to show off to my wife what I had learned my harmonica broke. She took a short video of it.

Also when I finally had learned the song I started getting idea after idea of what I could do for my ten concepts. It was really amazing. It was like finally accomplishing something I had wanted to do do for a long time got me out of rut!

Timmy Bates



1 comment:

  1. This is really cool! Good job, way to get yourself out of that rut. Sorry about your harmonica, but good thing you got this video, right?

    ReplyDelete