Posts

Monday, January 25, 2016

gettiing out of my rut, story time- Benton Eskelsen

So I've been really trying to write more and more since I've gotten into the major but I have really limited myself in this because I'm intimidated by length. I mostly write either advertisements, short poems or little blurbs, things of that nature. I have really wanted to embark on writing a short story, but I've always convinced myself I'd do it later or I just wasn't ready(I'm just a young padawan). SO I decided to buckle down I write one. I was going to be in a car for 8 hours so I knew I was going to have time and I knew I really had no excuse. I had a couple ideas for stories already in my head and picking one was not too difficult to do. I also placed a page limit on myself because I wanted to write a complete work and not just start something I would never finish. So the beginning was the hardest, becasue I was being very critical from the get go I didn't like certain words or I didn't like How it progressed and in short I started over a lot. In the end I finally got the story to flow the way I wanted to(atleast to some degree, I plan to work on it some more). I by no means got a finished product but I got something I could def work on and tinker with. I don't know if I ever would want to publish anything or be an author of some sort but it is something that does interest me and this was at least a toe in the water in this pursuit.

2 comments:

  1. One of my mentor's told me you learn who you are as a poet through writing prose. Even if you don't publish, I'm sure it will be worthwhile to continue writing long pieces. To follow the story and discover more about its landscape. That effort fuels better summaries and snapshots of narrative, which has been the secret to works by W.S. Merwin, Tomas Transformer and other famous poets. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben, I don't think you're the only one who has a fear of length when it comes to writing. I have a fear of length when it comes to reading so that's something I'm trying to get better at. I've started the Grapes of Wrath like 3 times but I've been reluctant to finish it because of how long it is, but like you said; if you set your mind to it then you accomplish anything basically (especially being trapped in a car for 8 hours) haha.

    ReplyDelete