Posts

Friday, January 8, 2016

Smile (Kehinde Wiley) by Jared Smith

What struck you as creative?
Watching this movie was kind of an emotional journey for me. First, I laughed at the people trying to maintain smiles, then the longer I watched the more I felt bad for the people trying so hard to smile for so long. I thought the four screens were creative. I wondered why there were four screens then I realized one possible answer. When someone looked like they were in pain I would look away at someone else. The option of looking at four people gave me the option to ignore the suffering person. 


How do you think the author came up with this idea?
I think it is safe to say that we have all experienced sore face muscles from being required to smile for a long duration of time. Wiley might have received the inspiration to do this project after realizing that face muscles hurt after prolonged periods of smiling. Wiley might have also received inspiration from seeing a montage of people smiling. 

3 comments:

  1. Interesting thought on changing who you look at to avoid seeing the suffering of one of the people - its true that as humans we look for ways to avoid talking about, seeing, or experiencing pain or suffering. I hadn't thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting thought on changing who you look at to avoid seeing the suffering of one of the people - its true that as humans we look for ways to avoid talking about, seeing, or experiencing pain or suffering. I hadn't thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with what you and Katie have said about how we as human beings physically look away from people who are suffering or we look for ways to avoid talking about it or expressing how we feel about it. I'm really guilty of this when I'm walking down the street or I'm in my car and a homeless person is begging on the street or asking for help - I know it's not the right thing to do but I just think that as humans we don't like to see the pain and hurt in the world. It reminds me of the story of the good Samaritan - I don't think that every single person that passed him on the road was a "bad person" but when we're faced with those kinds of situations we don't know how to act. I don't want to come across as making excuses for humanity, but I truly believe that we don't know how to react in those types of situations.

    ReplyDelete