Posts

Monday, January 11, 2016

Kehinde Wiley's Smile Museum Visit


Kehinde’s Smile exhibit was creative because it didn’t necessarily need an explanation in order to impact the viewer. I didn’t want to read his explanation until after I watched his video because I wanted to see it with an unfiltered view. When I sat down to watch I didn’t really know what to expect, I kept waiting for something to happen. But as I sat watching four smiling faces (some with an occasional real laugh/smile and some who had more of a grimace than a smile) I started to think. I thought about times in my life when I’ve put on a smile without really meaning it, or forcing a happy demeanor during tough times, and I wondered about all the times I’ve seen others without recognizing their effort in maintaining a smile. It was also creative because Kehinde used a sensation that everyone can relate to to help us sympathize or feel for black minstrels.


He may have done some research about black minstrels and tried to relate one aspect of their lives to a general public. Or he could have gone the other way, he may have noticed the phenomenon of people smiling when they didn’t mean it and then looked back through history to find a meaningful instance where smiling in pain was significant.

5 comments:

  1. It's interesting that you didn't read the description until after you saw the exhibit. I was stressed about not being able to know the 'why', rather than simply looking and thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is so interesting how you make a connection to the present. We all have had to put on a face for someone reason, and I think in the end that is what makes this work so relate-able.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't thought that the artists might have reverse-engineered a cultural significance, but I agree there is universal sentiment and application in the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had not thought about this project as an extension of black minstrels, but that is a very good connection. It definitely sheds more light on the purpose of this project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's awesome how this piece makes us relate instantly. We all have that smiling face. And so when we watch it we feel their pain, because we've been there. Great insight!

    ReplyDelete