Posts

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Sushi A New Experience - Timmy Bates

I have been faced, many times, with the choice to eat sushi. Often times in situations where it would be impolite to deny eating sushi, like at the home of a girlfriend or a dinner party with your in-laws. But with each situation where I am faced with eating sushi, comes the horrific memory of my brother vomitiing everywhere in the car after eating at a sushi restaurant. The sounds of retching, splashing, and screaming mixed with the smell of stomach bile was more than enough to nauseate me at the mere mention of sushi from then on. 

So it was quite the experience to knowingly and willingly go to Wild Ginger to eat sushi. In all honesty it was a nerve racking moment. I was legitimately nervous I would throw up in the restaurant. But with some encouragement from my wife, (who loves sushi) I realized I was being irrational and ate sushi! I learned it is pretty good! I am not saying that I would order it if I didn't absoultey have too, but I don't have to refuse it anymore if it is offered to me. I tried several kinds of sushi, some that were not really fishy at all, more like deep fried rice then anything. I had some others that unfortunately brought the scent of sushi bile back into my mind, but I was able to push through it. All in all I can eat sushi now! Which is a big deal for me and my wife. She hated the fact that I wouldn't eat it. So not only did I conquer a fear but my relationship with my wife is even better! I learned that the power of the mind is incredible. I have had a fear of sushi for a long time, but breaking through that fear has opened up a whole new world. I think I am ready to try fish now. I am excited to no longer be afraid food that comes from water. This was awesome. Hopefully this will help with ideas for Sun Bum... 

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you tried sushi! Wild Ginger has actually some of the worst I've ever had– Utah kind of struggles to have good sushi, mostly because we're not near the coasts. If you're ever in California hit up any Hanna Sushi or something rated highly on YELP!. or a Blue Ribbon in SoHo, NY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try Sushi Ya - the summer role. I hate fish but I love that kind of Sushi. Also, I'm glad I kept reading your post after the first paragraph because that paragraph made me never want to eat sushi again hahah so descriptive

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha the first time I had sushi I remember I actually almost did throw up but then I was coerced into trying it again by my Dad. Now, I love it but it's too pricey for me, Im kinda a cheapskate when it comes to food

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm surprised you had a mildly "good experience" with Wild Ginger, I haven't heard that many good things about it. That being said for both you and Ben Eskelsen, if you go to a place called "KYOTO" you can get rolls of sushi buy one get one free. It's by far my favorite sushi in provo.

    ReplyDelete