Posts

Monday, February 15, 2016

New Food: Nicole Utley - A Poem for Korean BBQ

Ode to Cupbop - A Love Poem:



Cupbop.

The oddest of food stand titles...
They say a rose by any other name
would smell as sweet.
But what of Korean BBQ?
Smells of meat,
sticky rice,
and curiosity
tickle the olfactory senses.

"I'll give you a free sample," says the window man.
I think I'm in love
with the dumpling thingy.
Mandoo he called it.
Beef, chicken combo please.
Spicy tolerance #3.
Window man complies and drizzles on spicy mayo,
but his subconscious is judging me.

A whiff, a taste, and I'm weak at the knees.
A long lost love I never knew.
Warm against a chilly day.
Each bite blows a kiss to my heart
on the way down to my happy stomach
Yes Cupbop,
you can be my valentine.


5 comments:

  1. You'll have to try a place where they cook it at your table. Those places are the best. My favorite is in Orange County: it's like $90 and the bring all sorts of meat, soup, salad, and thai tea. Really good place for a family to eat. Glad you liked Korean BBQ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, um yes, maybe when I'm a millionaire and not a starving college student :)

      Delete
    2. Haha, um yes, maybe when I'm a millionaire and not a starving college student :)

      Delete
  2. SO awesome that you wrote a poem - absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that your post is a poem haha. Also have you ever been to "Tocanto's"? It's super good Brazilian where they bring assorted meats out to you and they cut it right in front of you. If you like BBQ I would highly recommend it. Warning, it's like $50 a plate - totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete