Posts

Monday, February 8, 2016

Kimchi: Not So Bad, Not So Good. -Sam Loveland

           My dad served his mission in South Korea. There, he fell in love with Korean foods of all kinds. Unfortunately this love was not included in the genetics passed down to us his children. Except maybe to my sister. She was the one who suggested going to the new Korean place behind Wendys. She suggested getting bibimbop, a meal of rice, meat, egg, and veggies served in a hot stone bowl. This was delicious. I also tried the soda she gave me to sip. It tasted like liquified Skittles. Strange, but good.
           Last of all was the kimchi. A small bowl of white super-fermented cabbage. I took a piece in the pinch of my chopsticks and ate it swiftly. Strong flavor, kind of sharp, with a fishy taste to it. Not that bad really, but also something I would not seek out on a regular basis. I ate the majority of the serving along with the rest of my bibimbop.
          From this I learned that it is possible to make a soda taste like Skittles. I also learned that some foods have a definite 'acquired' taste. For kimchi I have not yet acquired this taste. I guess it was good that I served in Brazil and not South Korea. Or maybe I should have, and my tastebuds would have long accepted the fact that eating fermented cabbage is OK. Have I changed? I think I will keep ordering new foods off the menu. I believe it makes the night out much more memorable.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, Kimchi is gross unless you eat it with something. Like in the middle of a meal. Also, your breathe smells awesome afterwards. #kimchi4valentinesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for trying this so I don't have to. Kimchi sounds gross.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From what I hear the more you eat it the more you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So this is the Asian version of sauerkraut but fishy? I like sauerkraut but I hate fish so I'll probably stick with the German version of fermented cabbage..! Skittles soda sounds great though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad used to always buy kimchi in bulk! I swear he would come home from Costco with tons of these massive jars of kimchi. I've never liked the smell of it and I think i've only really tasted it once. Good job.

    ReplyDelete