Posts

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Wings of De...zzzzzz

So let me start by saying that I love films that are different. I love indie flicks that go against the conventional Hollywood formula. I don't even mind that most of those types of movies tend to be pretty slow because usually there is some deeper message that draws me in. This movie, on the other hand, just didn't grip me.

I think the movie was visually appealing. The composition of the shots and the perspective I thought was interesting. It was almost as if he set up a good still shot, but accidentally started taking a video instead. Unfortunately, there wasn't a whole lot going on besides that. This movie was SLOW. It may have been that I got tired of trying to read the movie or that it was tough to figure out any sort of real narrative arc, but I zoned out for a good portion of the movie.

It was an interesting experience, though. I appreciated seeing something that wasn't a Michael Bay movie, but I also can see why the Hollywood formula works. It's cool to be artsy and try something different, but for me, this really didn't do anything. Nothing captivated me and motivated me to want to see what happens next, that is, unless you count the burning desire to get to the end credits.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that my big issue was just the length of the movie. There would be brief moments of the plot moving forward, followed by long moments of just introspective stuff. Not saying it's bad, but it's hard to watch after a couple hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The burning desire to get to the end credits," hahaha I totally get what you mean. I don't need a Michael Bayesque movie to keep me entertained but this movie was too slow to even keep me awake. Good thing Benton brought some munchies.

    ReplyDelete