Posts

Saturday, March 5, 2016

Lizzi Perkins: Wings of Desire (to escape)



I love foreign films. I really enjoy International Cinema and some of my favorite movies have come from watching films from different countries. But this was one of my least favorite movie watching experiences ever (even including watching Puss in Boots on a blind date with someone 12 years older than me). Maybe the experience ruined the movie for me, but between the person loudly crunching on pretzels behind me and the kid farting in front of me, it was hard to focus.

But I can see some merits of the film. It was a lot slower moving than the typical American movie and had a lot more silence. I loved the idea behind the film, that the spiritual has to combine with the physical to produce a full spectrum of mortal experience and joy. I just thought that the film took too long to hammer that into the audience. An hour and twenty minutes had gone by and nothing that exciting/important happened so I decided to go to the bathroom; when I came back 2 minutes later, I missed the only important thing that happened in the whole move. All of a sudden he was carrying around armor and the film was suddenly in color and he somehow became a human.

The most important thing I learned from this is don't ever go to the bathroom during a foreign film.

2 comments:

  1. Haha I don't think you missed much in that time. I'm still not even sure how he did it. One second it's all black and white, and the next it's in color and he somehow has a suit of armor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the idea behind the film was great, but that the execution could've been more straightforward

    ReplyDelete