Posts

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Wings of Desire

I generally tend to enjoy foreign films. I like experiencing new cultures and involving myself in things that are not necessarily my go-to. The same goes for black and white film - it too has grown on me over time. I don't watch old or foreign film very frequently, so when I do I usually like it - it's refreshing. I liked Wings of Desire. I wish I would have watched it when I felt more awake so I could have paid better attention. What's difficult, but also beautiful about foreign film is how much attention you have to pay. You must constantly be reading the subtitles or you may miss a vital piece of information that will make sense to the rest of the film. Both tedious and exciting at the same time; a time when we have to watch what's in front of us and can't afford to take a break to check our phones.

The main difference I notice between foreign and American film (other than the language) is the plot structure. I think, because of our culture, Americans must have their attention grabbed right away in order for them to pay attention. Most movies have a clear plot that hooks you in right away and pulls you along throughout the film. Foreign film often drag, making the watcher unsure of what exactly is going on. I once watched a French film about a family at a ski resort. That was it - they were at the resort. Yes, there were a few times of conflict, but other than that it was just kind of showing what was happening on this family's vacation. Wings of Desire obviously had more to it than just that, but it definitely took me a while to understand exactly what was going on. At first I thought the whole film was going to be communicated only through thought. I wondered if there would be any interaction between humans at all. This misunderstanding could also be because I was reading the subtitles rather than hearing them, and processing things less quickly. Overall, I did like the film and felt that going to see it was the opposite of a waste of time.

2 comments:

  1. I like your insight about not being able to afford checking our phones or taking breaks from watching- it was frustrating yet refreshing to have to pay complete attention for 2 hours

    ReplyDelete
  2. You pose an interesting idea, what would our movies look like if we weren't so worried about holding people's attention?

    ReplyDelete