Posts

Sunday, February 14, 2016

My First Taste of Real America.

Out the many signature American foods, one has never left the United States. Hostess products. Growing up in Asia, we would watch American movies or TV shows with references to the iconic Hostess Twinkie. However, unlike McDonald's or KFC, the Twinkie was never to be found. So now, being in Utah, and having the challenge to try something new, I bought the Twinkies and CupCakes 32 Variety Pack from Costco.

First, the Twinkie. From the first look, I was slightly disappointed by how small the Twinkie was. The box was definitely deceiving. Also, with all the logos and words on the packaging, I could hardly tell what the yellow thing was inside. Maybe it was trying to stop me from getting a good look at this reportedly deadly product. At first bite, was I honestly disappointed once again. My idea of a sponge cake was fluffier. This Twinkie was more dense that I had imagined. The cake was more chewy than I had thought, it was almost like dough. Its filling, on the other hand, was exactly as I had imagined. Biting through the cake layer, the cream just exploded. Finishing the rest of the Twinkie, I am left with a mouth full of cream flavor, and strange sponge cake after taste. Honestly America, what was the rave all about?

Next, the CupCake with it's original squiggle. Initially, the top layer of chocolate along with its signature squiggle reminded me of Playdoh, inedible. However, for the sake of science or getting out of my rut, I took my bite. Thankfully, the cake was much better done that the Twinkie. However, the chocolate flavor swarmed me like the random haze we have been seeing in Utah. I could see the white cream filling but I could taste nothing but weirdly, chemically enhanced chocolate flavor. The Twinkie after taste has now blended with chocolate plastic and sponge cake. Now I can see why Hostess went bankrupt, and my opinion says they shouldn't come back.

Side note: I now have in my possession an abundance of source of diabetes in the form of Twinkies and CupCakes, please, if you wish, ask me for some.

4 comments:

  1. Haha yeah Twinkies are disgusting. They're definitely not as popular as they seem in the movies and stuff. It's just crappy "cake" with shortening inside.. so yeah. Gross.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I had a twinkie, it was a month old. The person who gave it to me was trying an experiment. Sad to say, it tasted the exact same as one I bought from the store. The old twinkie didn't even get me sick or anything. One time on my mission as well, we passed this dollar store that sold junk food. We found a box of 24, 12 twinkles and 12 of the hostess cupcakes. My companion and I had 6 of each. Needless to say, we don't remember much of what happened later that day, or week.

    ReplyDelete