Posts

Monday, February 8, 2016

Ched'r' Peppers - Lizzi Perkins


Growing up in Asia I ate a lot of weird foods: snake, pig hooves/feet, deep-fried cockroaches, etc. at a lot of weird places (one of my favorites was a toilet themed restaurant in Taiwan where the curry came in a miniature commode and the ice in the lemonade was colored brown). So I wasn't sure what kind of new food I could find in Provo.

Luckily, after a hard day at work I decided to treat myself to a chocolate oreo shake at Sonic and noticed they had a bunch of little snacks. It was there that I tried my first heavenly Ched'r' Peppers/Jalapeno popper. I loved it! Whoever decided to put melty cheese in a jalapeno and deep fry it should go straight to heaven (although on second thought, they are probably already there haha).

I learned that choosing food outside of my norms can be magical (although from previous experience I also know that it is sometimes disgusting). And I think that what that says about me is that even though I like trying new things and go out of my way to have different experiences, sometimes I still get stuck in ruts (especially in regards to food - I don't like to pay for and waste space in my stomach for something I don't love).

Honestly, I don't know that I will continue ordering food I don't usually get, but if I get chances to try new/strange/novel things, I'm going to make an effort to go out of my way and try them. This rut experience was fun though!

4 comments:

  1. Its really nice when you go out and try something new and actually like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jalapeno poppers are so good!! I used to eat them at Arby's when i was little. Also, I didn't know you grew up in Asia? So cool. Also cool that you've eaten all of those crazy foods already and ended up trying a simple jalapeno popper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those things. They are just fantistisquisite, which is a word I made up just for this occasion. Which, in itself, is fantastisquisite. Anywho, good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha cheese jalapenos and breading always a winning combination

    ReplyDelete