Posts

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Writing Songs--Marie Lewis

So, writing songs is really difficult. For me its really easy to come up with the first stanza . . . and then it goes downhill from there. I started like six songs, and they all had wonderful first stanzas, and then I got writer's block. So I decided to post a parody that I wrote with one of my good friends a couple of months ago. It was a really random, out of the ordinary, amazing happening.

I find its much easier if you already have the melody and have a writing partner. Turns out you don't say nearly as many stupid things when someone tells you not to (thank you Jordan Moody). I figure this is why art directors and copywriters work together. I bet the work they produce going at it together is infinitely better than the work they produce writing alone--just a guess.

Things I learned:
1) I love writing songs.
2) I need direction.
3) It is impossible to write a song without direction.
4) Two heads are better than one.
5) Rhyming dictionaries are a gift from God.
6) People who write their own music and lyrics are genius and deserve to have million dollar gold toilets in their bathrooms.


Why I Date No One At All:
Lyrics by Marie Lewis and Jordan Moody
To the tune of Alison Krauss’s When You Say Nothing At All


It’s amazing how I can screw up all the time.
I’ve been waiting so long for my partner in crime.
Try as I may, I still hear every week,
When the bishop gets up to speak:

You need to get married, quit wasting your time
There’s a girl in your ward I’m sure she’ll do just fine.

An interview’s sure when he hears me say out in the hall:
I do it best, when I date no one at all.

So I asked her out for Ice cream last Friday night,
But when I pulled her close, she put up a fight.
Oh my old bishop will never believe,
What she said when she got up to leave.

I’ve found you RM’s, you all act just the same.
I don’t want to say, but your mamma’s to blame.
You think you’re real cool when you quote the apostle Paul,
I/You do it best, when I/you date no one at all.


The look on her face lets me know that hates me
There’s a truth in your eyes sayin’ she’ll never date me
She pushes reject on her phone, whenever I call,
I do it best, when I date no one at all.

4 comments: