Posts

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Rut #7: Emily Jacobsen: Bus Ride!

I have to admit, I had never taken the bus before! I have taken trax with friends up to Salt Lake for concerts, games, and shopping, but I have never taken a bus! And to be honest I was scared out of my mind! Do you need a pass? Does it cost money? How much does it cost? You need exact change? What if I don't have exact change!? How do I make sure I get on the right bus? What if it is going the wrong direction? What if I break bus riding social norms? Needless to say, I was freaking out.
So I called my freshman sister who takes the bus from Wyview to the Wilk every day and asked her all these frantic questions; she eased my fears and I decided her bus ride would be a perfect first experience for me. So I met her at her dorm, parked my car, and walked to her bus stop. Thankfully, because of my little sister, I made it on the bus alive, and thankfully because of my little sister, I made it to the right place, and thankfully because of my little sister I made if off the bus alive. I think a lot were students, (but not all) some on the phone (is that a bus ride norm no-no, cause it should be), some with ear-buds, some with roommates, most with backpacks, some texting.
I learned I can meet a whole new genre of people if I start taking the bus regularly. I could save a lot of money on gas. I could probably avoid more near death-by-ice experiences in the winter. I could make more friends. I could get homework done WHILE driving, the safe way.

I weirdly was imagining getting off the bus being as stressful as getting off the ski-lift or a escalator, But it wasn't :) D (P.S. I wish my dang iphone weren't broken so I could have taken pics to show my mom)

3 comments:

  1. I wonder how different the bus looks during the weekday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember being stressed out that I wouldn't know how to get around. I have yet to really learn the bus system, but it's on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this was your first experience on a bus? Cool.

    ReplyDelete