Posts

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Rut #5- Laura Coalwell

Elementary Romance


Little boys and girls
Cut cardboard hearts
And give them out at school
They run away
Sign phony names
And pray they'll get one, too.

Little boys and girls
Play games of house
And get married on the playground
They hold hands
Play kissing tag
And laugh when they fall down.

(Bridge)
And then
They grow up
They fall hard
They get crushed
And they're back to where they started
And sometimes
They give up
And keep those cardboard hearts locked up

When did they learn
To think they aren't enough?

Little boys and girls
become
Grown up boys and girls
who have
Little boys and girls
who remind them

how to love.


{This assignment was one of the harder ones for me. Not because of the actually writing of a song, I've written a fair share of them before, but because it was writing for a deadline. Generally when I write (in any form), it comes at random times and I write it down. There are very few times where I sit down at a computer or with a notebook with the intention of writing a song or a poem or something really great. I've always felt like my best work comes when I'm not trying to write something good.

This may not be the best thing I've ever written
But it was a good experience.
This whole deadline thing.
Because it's the way the advertising world works.
And even the creative world.
Because if there is no deadline, there is often no finished product.}

No comments:

Post a Comment