Posts

Monday, February 25, 2013

Rut #6-Kim Pratt

When I first heard that I had to do a painting for this assignment, my initial reaction was "oh no I do NOT paint!" I started thinking long and hard about what is the world I could possibly paint. Then it hit me. For months I have had the strange desire to paint a rug. Yes, I said it, a rug. I saw this done many times on Pinterest and people tended to have favorable results in the end. I figured why not give it a try?! I'm a poor college student who can't afford to throw down 500 dollars on my dream area rug, so I had nothing to lose! I started by purchasing an area rug at ikea for only like $40. I then bought the color of paint I needed at home depot along with some brushes and contact paper. I created my stencil, traced it onto the contact paper and then transfered the contact paper onto the rug. From there it was super easy to just paint inside the stencil I had made. I think it turned out great and it was a really fun learning experience. I realized time flew by as I was painting and I had such a good time! I decided to paint this particular shape because I saw an awesome design similar on Pinterest that I wanted to replicate. It ended up coming pretty close. I continued to do some research and found out that some people even paint their COUCHES! Crazy!

6 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! I might have to do this myself too. PS. Pintrest is awesome for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I love DIY stuff and I would have never thought to do this. What kind of paint did you use? And did you put a top coat over it? How does it not peel off or anything?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is pretty neat! I'm a big fan of the rug - something way different to paint on.

    ReplyDelete