Posts

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Rut 5 - Austen Allred


So you probably have to know a little bit of the backstory that goes with this. After I got back from the mission I did a semester at BYU in the business school, and got really bored – I was really frustrated with how lame life can be in Provo. I needed some adventure, so I bought a one-way ticket to China (no, I don’t speak Chinese), and wasn’t sure if/when I would come back.

I couchsurfed and bummed around in Shanghai for a while until I found an apartment, then a few months traveling to random cities on trains while reading Les Miserables, Shakespeare and Emerson. So this is a song about some introspection I did as I was riding a train through the Chinese countryside.

These people I have never met
And I will never meet
Philosophers interpret life
I wander aimlessly
Is this the thing they like to call
In the language I don’t speak

Is this the train that leads
To being free?

You can’t get any farther
When you’re half a world away
The only thing that’s lacking
Is the reason for to stay
I’m lost but there’s no going back
To the corporate cavalcade

Not sure to where
I’m moving on today

Speed will never matter
When you’re racing ‘gainst the moon
Trade bullet train for sleeper car
Apartment for commune
A slight right and you pull ahead
And the running ends real soon

I guess that I’ll head home now
Though I’m not sure what that means

But all aboard
We’ll see where this one leads

4 comments:

  1. What? You flew to china and just traveled around? That is the greatest. I am proud of you for going on such an adventure..I bet you learned so much. and...I like your song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an awesome story. I think the fact that your song comes from a cool personal experience like that makes it better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow, I don't think I'd have the guts to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that story. I love world travel but I have yet to buy a one-way ticket with no definite plans of returning. I guess that's next on my bucket list. :) Well done, you are awesome.

    ReplyDelete