Posts

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Rut Exerise #3


Run.

The unthinkable had been thought, but it didn't stop there. The unthinkable had been considered, pondered upon, mapped out, and executed.

You have .3 seconds to book it and salvage whatever portion of reputation you have left. 

I had always wondered what it would be like to "eat it," in the meeting Mecca of all social circles--- Provo, Utah. The land of meaning, the land of love, where everyone cares about anyone. This place, moreso BYU campus, is perpetually teeming with youthful fresh meat. Many may hold your future in their hands. Potential is around every corner, so don't mess up. At least that's what we've been conditioned to think and believe. It all counts on the hallowed grounds of this university, so own it like you would a runway stroll. But what if---- what if there were some divine moment, some happenstance split second to do just what society fears most? What if I were to go against the grain (and ground), by publicly humiliating myself in the most tragic trip-and-fall of all time?

Let me preface this by saying that my brother and twin sister's support certainly served as the catalyst to this sudden outburst of confidence. 
So my brother, a little overzealous to make use of this brand new video camera, beckoned us up each flight of stairs in the Harold B. Lee library. Up we went, to the infamous top floor. It's where scholar-like genius abounds, and Pi's final digit is counted. What better atmosphere for shaking things up could there be?

My brother found the optimum location for catching as much as possible on tape. The three of us carefully selected an array of textbooks from off the shelves. In hand, the books started at my waste and stacked to the tip of my chin. Perfect. With a little strategy, I lined up. Lights, camera, action. 

I took the silent steps that felt like walking the plank. Fifty students studied in mute solitude. Not on my watch---- my foot passed the designated target for eating it. I intentionally allowed moving right food catch the back of my left, stunting a successful step and thus propelling me in to mid-air. Correspondingly, books when flying and landed with a blissful, scattered heap around my prostrate person. I had face planted on the floor, and lie there, arms outstretched. Success.

I held the pose for the space of 3 downbeats, certain that my critic counterparts had had ample time to process the biff. I lifted my head of the floor and dramatically threw my head left, right, forward, then bolted like I'd never bolted before. Up, up, and AWAY. Disregard the hour I'd just spent looking up call numbers for my compiled stash of literature. My fifteen seconds of lame fame were almost up. 

Stewart and Samantha came dashing after me, and the next time I remember any of what happened was when we were outside the building, catching our breaths among the exhausted laughter. 
That, my friends, is what I would call a showdown.

It was SCARY. I literally didn't know what would happen, how I would be judged, what the consequences would be. But, I can now say that I royally ate it, tripped and notoriously fell in a very very public setting.
I have the evidence to prove it, seeing fifty shocked heads turn to process the poor girl who will never know friendship again. 

For the 15 seconds of videotaped gold, Stewart and Sam will now be in my debt forevermore. 
Haha, what a wonderful assignment. 
PS, I totally ripped a hole in the left knee of my jeans because of it. 
#No regrets. 


No comments:

Post a Comment