Posts

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Rut 2 Part 2.... Gabe McFadden

So I guess I have to be honest now:

My thing that I did that I was previously too scared to do wasn't getting a lip piercing. I have actually always wanted to convince to a group of people that I did something crazy and impulsive and that I was hard core and a rule breaker.

I don't think it worked.

I have always wanted to see how far I could push some of the gray areas of the Honor Code and I've wondered if I could carry it off with confidence to make it believable. I hope I succeeded in seeming sure of myself and I was able to make my piercing seem real.

So many people here at BYU are very scared of skirting the line and take less and less risks with dress and appearance for fear of the ever looming and omnipresent Honor Code Office. I understand that I have an alternative look and I have been known to wear some weird outfits. I work very hard to temper myself as to not make bad first impressions on my professors and classmates--I have found that if I start out looking crazy, people are less inclined to trust, talk to, and like me. Whereas if I look more approachable at the beginning of the semester and slowly start to pull out my crazier outfits as the semester progresses, people respond more positively and see my crazier clothes as cool and unique instead of intimidating and weird.

I wanted to throw all that away and see how everyone would react to me being crazy right off the getgo...



No comments:

Post a Comment