Posts

Saturday, January 23, 2016

So I Guess I Can Thank Professor Cutri for my New... (Rut Assignment)

This week was a complete success - a scary success. This may have been the most fulfilling assignment I've ever done. I ended up doing two things that I was really scared of doing. One of them was awesome and one of them was psychedelic. I'll start with the awesome one.

I asked out a random stranger. And it was honestly terrifying. 

I specifically went to the library on a day where I didn't have school to scout out the prospects. My friends were all going on a group date that night so I had mere hours to find a date. Looking around, I felt like a hunter or a lioness or something - is this how boys feel on a daily basis? Anyways, after about an hour of mental pep talks, I packed up my things to leave and went in for the kill. My heart was pounding. 

And then it just happened. We had a causal conversation and I asked him out. And he already had a date that night - hahaha. But honestly, I felt just as awesome as if he would've said yes. There's something so liberating and motivating about conquering a fear - heck, maybe I'll do this every week! 
Side note - We did end up exchanging numbers so.. I'll keep you updated haha!

Okay now for numero dos, the Big Kahuna, the reason I have serious need to thank Professor Cutri for this assignment. 
I've always wanted to work in Interior Design. Parade of Homes is like Disneyland to me. I absolutely love it. Remember that, because it'll come back later in the story. 
I work at Wells Fargo and while I was at work, I was working in the drive thru. I greeted one of the customers, she sent over the checks for deposit. When they came through the tube, I realized they were Gatehouse checks - Gatehouse is an interior design firm based out of Orem - a really successful firm. 
I decided right then and there that this was what I was going to do for my assignment. I was going to muster up all the magic and charm that I had and I was going to apply for a job I had always wanted and yet was completely unqualified for. I was going to apply for a job at Gatehouse. 
I began talking to her about it and found out she was the owner. Chang ching! I told her about my interest in interior design and to make a long story short - she told that they had a job opening and were interviewing the next day. (WHAT?!?!) She told me to send over my resume and to show up for an interview the next day at 3. 
So I did. 
I had a great interview with 2 of the designers and afterwards they invited me to come back the next week for a second interview with Stephanie and Doug (the owners).

BOOMSHAKALAKAAAAAA.

So to save you from a lot of basic fan girling and freaking out, let's just say this was THE best assignment ever. Who thought that so much opportunity could come from stepping out of your comfort zone? 

 If I get this job, I'm giving Professor Cutri extra credit. 


4 comments:

  1. Awesome. This made me laugh, so inspiring. Congratulations, I hope you get the job, and the date ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, you did this!!! I'm so glad and so proud. You totally got out of your shell and did something that was hard and scary and that's GREAT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SUCH A GOOD IDEA! And I hope you get it! That sounds infinitely more fun and enjoyable than working at Wells Fargo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading your post! I hope you get the job! It just goes to show that when we put our mind to something that we really want to do, the universe kind of aligns in a way to make it possible for us to do so! Awesome insight! Something I'm definitely going to try to incorporate from now on!

    ReplyDelete