Posts

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Smile exhibition- museum visit

 So my very first impression of the exhibit when I walked into the room was just how strange the whole thing was. I then took the time to read the description on the outside and thought to myself " this is just some guy who is trying to be overly artistic in a very impractical way( how tom green is to comedy). I sat down and began to watch it and I was actually blown away at how these faces were able to capture the idea the artist was trying to express. You could see how the faces began OK and then you saw how the strain of smiling would wear on them, and little by little the smiles seemed painful and forced. I believe that was an excellent  way to show the pain Black people would go through when they had to please their master and white counterparts. I think the artist was able to make it very real by using the faces of actual people, the expression of a face is hard to ignore, it's difficult to misinterpret when you are really looking at someone's face. So it was a very effective and innovative way to show the pain of their predecessors.
  I think the artist probably came up with this idea by focusing on a way to make the art really communicate in an active way instead of something easy to ignore or separate themselves from. I think this idea came from really focusing on how to connect people to the representation in a way they never really consider. I don't think many people have ever seen a film quite like this. So it is shocking and thought provoking, which I really think were main concern the artist had in mind while creating this project

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of it being an active piece rather than something that is easily ignored. It makes a statement that is so powerful in such a uniqiue way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the idea that you said on how the artist was able to make it more real by using the faces of actual people instead of painting a picture to exhibit the emotion. I'm not sure if a painting could really convey the message as well as it was portrayed in the smile exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your take on the inspiration for the piece. I didn't think about like that in an active way.

    ReplyDelete