Posts

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Amateur Interior Design by Strangers

I've always wanted to decorate my room with my own writings and drawings. Then I thought, why stop there? I decided to take another step further and have other people do it. Obviously, living here in Provo I cannot have anyone take a Sharpie to my walls. I decided to buy poster boards and invite friends or complete strangers draw or write anything they wished on these boards that I will pin up on my wall, regardless of how nice it looked.

Currently I only have four boards filled up created by ten different people. Inviting random individuals to decorate my "wallpaper" has been an interesting experience. A few have told me about their lack of creativity and not knowing what to draw/write, but they take up the challenge and a few minutes later hand me a board with something I'm sure no one else would've drawn. Something purely unique to that person. One person that contributed to my interior decoration was a five-year-old boy and his mother. The boy drew several images that resemble flowers (?) or insects (?), but he was proud enough to insist on signing his name, Parker, below his five little pictures. He was ecstatic to know that he was decorating my room with his drawings. He was not held back at all by whether or not he felt like he drew nicely or whether others could tell what it was. His creativity had no bounds. Others that contributed to these poster boards complemented their own drawings to what had already been drawn, and all of a sudden, between complete strangers that have never met, a complete picture fills the board.

This "getting out of a rut" experience has been very unique. Originally the idea was to use my own creativity, but now seeing others use theirs has been a very different experience. Many people have the idea that they are not creative or never use the creativity that they have to create something. Giving people my wall in the form of poster boards to create something really inspired me, especially when I watched a self-claimed uncreative person unleash their creativity with a Sharpie. As I look to my wall I can see how others have their own form of creative thinking and design.

I'll have a board with me in class so it's free game!

2 comments:

  1. That's an awesome idea. Definitely a good way to get more creative by watching others express their creativity right in front of you. You should show us all a pic of the finished room when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a cool idea! As long as you still contribute to the wall and don't have everyone else's art work up there. It's like a literal Pinterest board. You will need to show us the finished project.

    ReplyDelete