Posts

Saturday, January 9, 2016

"Smile" by Kehinde Wiley - Katie Miller

Wiley's work was unexpected, uncomfortable, and yet strangely powerful. Definitely not what I was expecting, the piece oozed creativity and originality. I entered the room, purposely walking past the introduction and explanation of the artwork. I wanted to get my own experience and then read what the artist had intended. When I first went in to view the piece, I thought the point was to show how we put on a show before the world to hide how we're really feeling - a mask of sorts. I didn't really noticed that all the men were black until I went back to read the introduction to the piece, which read, "Their grinning masks are reminiscent of a misguided, racist practice where blackface minstrels donned a smile that belied the oppressed status of those they represented... these young men wear the stock expression of a happy-go-lucky stereotype rooted in racial misunderstanding and prejudice."
After reading, I was blow away by how deep, powerful, and focused this work of art was. There were so many different options or ways to show this type of prejudice and stereotype. I love that the artist chose to pick video as a medium - there really is no better way to show human emotion. He could have chosen a painting of past events, or a photo, or a sculpture, etc. By choosing film and video, the artist was able to show that the issue is current and effects people all around us - specifically African Americans. I like to think that the artist consciously made this choice.
I believe the artist thought of the idea for this piece from personal experience and lots of observation - he took something that is happening all around us, recorded it, and it became art. The most creative part for me was the ability to show multiple people - there were four screens and even then, when one man had to stop smiling, a new face would appear and then start the process all over again. It struck me how moved I was just by watching - at first, I couldn't help but smile along with them. After a while, I found myself a little creeped out at how robotic and stoic they seemed. I could see the pain that the smile was causing and the inner struggle that each of them was having - all while having a smile plastered across their face. I was surprised how easily and deeply I felt from these faces I don't know nor will ever meet. Bravo Wiley.

3 comments:

  1. I love how one of the first things you called it was "uncomfortable." I think that is one of the most powerful tools in any persuader's toolkit. People like to be comfortable. If you can make them uncomfortable, you force them to confront their own emotions and, hopefully, change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting to see how you walked in without knowing what it is you were looking at purposefully. I walked in without knowing only because I didn't notice the little board. So I'm curious to know what you thought it was all about without reading the introduction,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great insight! I actually did the same thing and it made the piece of artwork come to life for me. I didn't read anything at first. I just went in there with fresh eyes and soaked it in. I agree on the form of art you mentioned. Video really is the best way to approach a thought like this one.

    ReplyDelete