Posts

Friday, January 23, 2015

Rut 2

I did something that I never had done before, like we were supposed to do. It was a simple thing, but it changed my view on life.

I was driving in Lehi, UT by Thanksgiving point. There's a park n ride area just off the freeway. I had met my family to go to salt lake to do various family activities. They dropped me off later and as I was pulling out there was a mother and son (around 20 years old) that were stranded on the side of the road. They had the typical cardboard sign that said, "Help!" Then it read, "Need money for gas and hotel." I drove by and thought what I always think, oh they're just trying to get money or this is probably their job, or how do I know they aren't lying. All my thoughts could have been correct, but who am I to judge. I was driving off and decided to pull out a $5 bill to give to them. As I approached them I felt sincerely bad by their condition, real or not. I put the $5 back in my wallet and pulled out $20. I felt like they need it more than I did. So I rolled down my window and gave them the money. They were elated and joyful. I drove off and thought about it. What are we if we have money and we don't help out those in need? We've all been helped along the way by various people in our lives, both seen and unseen. Sometimes the help is monetary, sometimes its simply time, or an ear to listen or a smile or kind word. This time it was $20 that someone need more than I did. It felt good helping someone who seemed less fortunate and in need of help.

No comments:

Post a Comment