Posts

Monday, January 12, 2015

Gabe McFadden Goes to the Museum!

I enjoyed Block Plan Series much more than I enjoyed Plexus. I liked that it was relevant to provo and I thought the style of illustration was very unique. I think the artist’s voice was very prevalent in her work which, to me, is the most important thing it art. That is the reason I actually didn’t like Plexus that much. I’ve seen that type of art before and I’ve seen it done better. I love color theory and studying the way colors work together and I think that rainbows and sun rays are kind of generic, tired ideas. Some of the other similar exhibitions I have seen have used their respective space and colors much more effectively.

I think Kim  comes up with her ideas seeing the world slightly more in a unique way than Gabriel-- I feel like her instillation took more skill in balance as many of the sketches were juxtaposed with colored almost cubist looking elements.

Art is difficult and very subjective, so I judge it purely based on if I react to it. Positive or negative, a reaction is a reaction and art should make me feel something. For example, I hate Rothko I think his art is basic and boring and I have never been able to see the hype behind it. However, I soon realized that my vehement reaction was a very strong reaction which, to my displeasure, forced me to give credit to his talent. I feel that Gabriel bored me, I saw it and basically thought “this again?” Whereas at least I hadn’t really seen something that looked like what Kim had created.  

No comments:

Post a Comment