Posts

Monday, October 31, 2011

UTA Public Transit

Because the syllabus didn't say when this was due I did it about two weeks ago fearing I had just missed the memo or something. My family lives in Tooele, UT and because I don't have a car, I take public transit to Salt Lake, my dad brings me home after work, and then I ride UTA back to Provo. I usually insert my ear buds and listen to blaring music but this time I listened to everything. I left on a Friday and returned on a Saturday:

I took bus 811 which travels between Provo and the TRAX at Sego Lily in Sandy. I got on at the University Avenue/1060 bus stop which is right in front of the IPF. Waiting for the bus was pretty uneventful. Once I got on the bus, I sat near the back.

The bus was filled with mostly older people. No one spoke until we got to the UVU stop. College students are LOUD! One guy was on his phone when he got on and was talking intensely about some business assignment (or actual transaction, I couldn't tell). He didn't seem to think about everyone else that was around him because he was practically yelling into the phone and everyone was looking at him a little annoyed.

On the TRAX, this kid got on with short dreadlocks; several piercings and tattoos; a black, over-sized hoodie; and baggy black jeans. I am pretty sure he was high. He kept staring at me. Then he asked me what I did for business. I forgot I was in business clothes from work. I told him I was a student and he wouldn't believe me. Around Murray, sister missionaries got on. He got all excited and started talking to one of them. It was fun watching the super awkward missionary approach. I knew she was trying to fit the gospel into everything he was saying but he kept changing subjects and not following any of the conversations she was trying to start. I felt kind of guilty not jumping in and being the "member present" but I wanted to watch the interaction. Their attempts didn't get anywhere.

The best moment was when I was going home on Saturday. There was this bald, plump man wearing a button-up shirt, fisherman hat (the kind with the full brim and the string that goes under the chin to hold it on), and slacks. He was going from seat to seat just chatting it up with everyone. When one person would get off, he'd jump to the next seat and talk, talk, talk. I crossed my fingers he wouldn't come talk with me because the guy just rubbed me wrong. He spoke pretty crass and had one of those grating voices. I got away with not talking to him on the TRAX but when I went to wait at the bus stop - he got me!

He introduced himself as Steven and then starting asking me question after question. I told him I was a BYU student and he started ripping BYU, the Honor Code, and the Mormon church. His wife was a member but he hated those F-ing Mormons. "We should all be able to believe however we want. No one should tell us there's only one way to get to heaven". I tried to teach him a bit but he was DEFINITELY not interested.

He then told me about how he was an architect but then switched over to carpentry. He taught me how you cut all the pieces for furniture, explaining that you can't cut it while it's wet or it will warp when it dries. Then he talked about his schooling. After an hour, I was thinking I was going to go crazy! I was also wondering where the heck the bus was. Come to find out, I had gotten to the bus stop a little after 8:30 pm which is after the second to last bus leaves. The next one wouldn't come until 9:50!

Then the guy asked me if he could borrow my phone! I wasn't sure what to say. I ended up letting him. He called his wife and told her that the bus wasn't going to come for another long while and that she should come pick him AND HIS NEW FRIEND up!? I was kind of freaking out at that point, thinking he was a creeper. He got a lot more friendly after I let him use my phone and even gave some money to this skater who came over and asked us for money. Then his wife arrived.

I was sick of waiting at that point and a bit afraid the last bus would never come meaning I'd be stranded in Sandy. She seemed pretty normal and they didn't throw me into a bag or gag me so I figured it was safe. His wife's name was Jill. She was a VERY patient woman. He was loud and obnoxious to her, and she put him in his place. Their relationship was interesting. It was disfunctional but endearing.

It was kind of weird riding back to Provo with them but I was grateful at the same time. I actually got to a point where I liked the guy even though he was so obnoxious and crass. He gave me his e-mail when I got to Provo. After I got out, I asked where they lived and they told me they lived back in Draper! I was then really humbled by their generosity.

3 comments:

  1. Holy cow Tim. You seem to have the craziest experiences. Thanks for the fun story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that last story was great. How nice of them that they would drive you down to Provo. Too bad he wasn't more friendly to the church—sounds like a good guy. (IT's too bad friendliness like that can come off so creepily now days)!

    ReplyDelete