Posts

Monday, October 31, 2011

UTA Anit-Rut James Taylor

Work comes early on Monday morning. I need to be at the MTC at 7 am, which meant catching a bus around 6:09 am in Springville. Getting on the bus was easy enough, just tap my debit card and take a seat. As I looked around the bus most everyone was drifting in and out  of sleep with the rocking of the bus. One guy was talking to the bus driver and as he got off at a stop told her it was a pleasure and asked her to not get in a crash.

Another guy started talking to a man about going to the VA. He mentioned a story about a vet who lost his leg after 18 years of service in the military and didn't get retirement (you get it after 20 years of service). I mentioned how sad that was and then the man started talking to me. He had spent 16 years in the military, from Vietnam to Desert Storm. Apparently his pension has been cut over the past few years from $1600 to about $600. His daughter had asked him for a hefty amount of money to bail her son out of jail and he wouldn't do it. His grandson had stolen a car and gone for a joy ride. Then he told me most new cars have gps trackers in them, like the one his grandson broke into.

I talked to the bus driver after and found out that I missed a stop because I was talking away. To my credit though, the stop wasn't listed on the UTA website. Overall, this experience was a great one. I would ride the bus more frequently if I could still get a greatly subsidized bus pass. It was fun to meet someone new and get a new perspective on life.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that man's story sound interesting and it makes me wish I was there to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you missed your stop, the whole time I was riding I was worried I was going to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love talking to people on the bus. It seems like everyone I've talked to has crazy stories like that too. I've lived a sheltered life I guess because some people tell those stories about bailing their kids out of jail like it happens every day. People are so interesting sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome conversation. I wish I was there. It sounds like it was very insightful. I love those kinds of chats when you have a bit of knowledge about a topic and the other person goes crazy in depth and you learn a ton.

    ReplyDelete