Posts

Monday, March 7, 2016

Wings of Desire

Well Wings of Desire was definitely an interesting movie. Before watching it I made sure to read up on a synopsis, which I think definitely helped with understanding the plot.

I thought it had some great aspects to it. I liked the whole premise of the movie, of an angel who wants to experience mortality. The use of color in the film was also interesting. I just felt like it was so dang long. It's gets all deep and introspective, but after a while it started to lose me.

In films we're used to action and plots constantly moving forward. Something happens, then something else happens, etc. This movie was definitely marching at its own pace. I wouldn't call it bad. But maybe that's because I've seen The Tree of Life with Brad Pitt, which is the most sluggish, nonsensical plotless two and a half hours I've ever seen. So now I can't really consider any other movie being too slow or artsy.

I loved the concept and I thought the style was interesting, but it just tended to drag. I did some research and found out we have an American version, City of Angels. No doubt they would have made it with a much faster pace, most likely at the expense of the artistry. It also stars Nicholas Cage, which should make for an entertaining movie, for better or worse.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm I'd be interested to see what the American version is like for sure- thanks for the info! I also completely agree about it being a good premise that unfortunately was just executed in a way that made it way too slow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something wonderful about French and German films is that they leave you time in the movie for introspection. To consider their points. (At least their post-modernist films). There are some that definitely do it better. If you like Film Noir, you should watch Le Samurai and Pepe Le Moko. I'd suggest saying away from Trois Coleurs (French) and Roma Citta Aperta (Italian) if you don't like slow films.

    ReplyDelete