Posts

Monday, September 6, 2010

Burn rubber, not your soul, baby. -Biker Boyz (McKenna)

For this week's "Out of the Rut," I decided to do something I've been dreaming of for years, but had previously avoided due to parental constraint.

Oh yeah.

I was gone all weekend on a trip, so I went on a merry search tonight for someone with a motorcycle willing to give me a ride.... aka I texted everyone I knew.  I finally found someone through my roommate, called them up, and was set to go.

This is how I wish it happened.

This is what really happened.

But, it was definitely for the best because, had I driven, I probably would've crashed and would currently be a pancake on the road.  So, instead, I made a new friend who drove me around Provo and Orem for an hour (hitting speeds of 60-70mph) before buying me ice cream.  I'm more than okay with that.

Conclusion?  Motorcycles are fun :)  (Duh.... I know.)  But there's a difference between watching one on TV and riding around.  And riding around is an adrenaline-filled experience, even if it is freakishly cold (I definitely second Tanner on that).

Things I've learned about myself:

1. I have done a lot of random things in my life.  Things that really only work to blog about for a creative ad class, so I'm not sure why I did them all before (i.e. dressing like a man, dying my hair weird colors, dancing/singing in public, etc.).  But that's okay because there is an infinite amount of stuff to do in this world.  And I love that challenge.

2. I have a bit of a rebel streak.  Who would've thought that my cardigan-and-flats-loving self would enjoy motorcycles?

3. I confirmed my suspicion that I would be perfectly happy owning a motorcycle.  (Sorry, Mom.)



P.S. I totally had an unexpected "Out of the Rut" while I was out town.  I was four-wheeling with a friend around Richfield, Utah when our four-wheeler totally ran out of gas.  That has NEVER happened to me before.  And I would prefer it never happen again.  Especially in the middle of a canyon right next to a shooting range.  It's pretty embarrassing to call for a ride :P

5 comments:

  1. i'm so jealous! i've been planning to take motorcycle lessons for a while now and i wanted to do this but couldn't find anyone with a motorcycle. it must have been so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally thought about riding a motorcycle too. I've wanted to do this forever. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uhg i have totally ran out of gas in the middle of no where on a quad and it is the worst! Glad you made it through!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah, totally understand the parental consent thing. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE motorcycles. I mean I don't think I could actually drive one. It would probably fall on top of me. But I'm pretty jealous that you got to do that this weekend.

    ReplyDelete